The Consulate of the Sea was ordered established by king Jaume II, who in 1306 authorized the creation of this to resolve disagreements between merchants and sailors. However, it wasn’t until the reign of Jaume III, ruling as minor under the regency of his uncle Philip in 1336, that the king named two consuls for this purpose. In 1344, King Peter the Ceremonious renewed the consulate according to the consulate of Valencia, that had been established in 1283 and was the first of its kind.
On the main floor there is a gallery with five segmental arches with ringed columns and a balustrade; this gallery has five doors with triangular pediments. On the side looking towards La Llotja is the old chapel of La Llotja, completed in a Gothic style.