Coves Blanques are found in the rocks next to the harbour in Porto Cristo
These caves were the first to be inhabited in what we now know as Porto Cristo, actually, the first registered family that lived here, resided in these caves. This was in 1877, and the cave was referred to as Cova del Patró Pelat, because the name of the family was Pelat.
The caves have probably been used by humans since prehistoric times. Throughout medieval times, the cave is believed to have been a place for fishermen, pirates and other people of the sea to seek shelter. It was actually because of this, that Porto Cristo got it’s first nickname, Colonia del Carme, because Carme is protector of fishermen.