Church of Blood in Palma
Enter the church through the portal in the corner of Plaça de l’Hospital that will lead to the courtyard and main entrance.
This church, was one of the last Gothic churches to be built in Palma. It dates back from the late 15th century, and used to serve the general hospital of Palma.
Architecture of La Sang
It is a spacious building with a very wide single nave with chapels between buttresses with ribbed vaults. On the keystones of the vaults one can see the coat of arms of the city and of the hospital itself, as well as of the Pacs de Cunilleres and Tomàs families, important sponsors of the works.
Special interest of La Sang
1. Carvings of Italian origin which came from the Convent of Jesus, and believed to be the oldest of their kind in all of Spain. There is also two amazing marble sculptures, which is also believed to have been brought from Italy.
2. Two panels painted by famous Gabriel Mòger.
3. The best known and most popular chapel is that of the Cristo de La Sangre, established in 1552 by the brotherhood of La Sangre. This is where the sanctuary and sculpture of the Cristo de La Sangre are found. It is made from cork oak wood that is lighter than others so that the image can be taken out in procession.