Visit the parish church of Valldemossa, church of Sant Bartomeu
The first church documented in Valldemossa, was from 1248 and dedicated to Virgin Mary.
During an expansion of the church in the 14th century, it was dedicated to Bartholomew the Apostle. Since then, the church of Valldemossa has went through many renovations and expansions, nevertheless, the church is still among the smallest basilicas on the island.
In 1570, the Joan Baptista (John the Baptist) chapel was added, which is resting place of Joan Masroig and Adriàn Ferrans, two important personalities in the history of Valldemossa. Masroig, was among the very first landowners in Valldemossa, and the owner of the historic Es Molí building, which is now a luxury boutique hotel. Ferrans, was the main decorator of the Real Cartuja.
Up through the 1600’s, Valldemossa was facing some bad economical times, and many landowners abandoned the village to pursue happiness and wealth elsewhere. The church felt this, but kept trying to reward those who stayed in the village to fight the economical crisis and stay truth to their church. As a result of this effort, Jeroni Roig built the church organ to symbolize the sound of will and courage.
The bell tower and main facade of the church, was finished in 1930, at the same time of the canonization of the patron saint, Catarina Tomàs.