Visit the hilltop sanctuary of Sant Salvador and enjoy a piece of local history along with amazing panoramic views of the area
No less than 7 watchtowers, are incorporated in this metre-thick wall that encloses the sanctuary of Sant Salvador.
This fortress and church, was built back during Moorish times on Mallorca, and expanded after the Catalan reconquest of the island. At this time, the town of Artà, was called Almundaina, and the entire area was known as ‘Yartar’.
Inside the fortified area there is the house of the “Donat” (the person responsible for the Sanctuary) and two cisterns.
In the chapel, you find a figure of the Virgin Mary that was moved to the sanctuary from the church of Bellpuig (Catalonia) in the XV century. This polychrome wood carving was restored in 1952.
The 180 stone steps that lead up to the Sanctuary begin at the Parish Church of Transfiguration. The visit to Sant Salvador is free and offers extraordinary views over the town and the municipality of Artà.