The fortress of Sant Carles, used to guard the bay of Palma.
The fortress, which real name is; Castell de Sant Carles, was ordered built by King Felipe III, in the years between 1610 and 1612, after continuing requests from tradesmen in Palma. It was built on the exact place of a former watchtower and lighthouse.
The name of Sant Carles, is believed to derive from the vice king of Spain, Carles Coloma.
In 1662, the fortress of Sant Carles was expanded and more staff was hired. The expansion was planned and executed by military architect, Vicente Mut Armengol (1614–1687), who besides from being architect, was a trusted astronomic and writes, who later has had a lunar crater named after him, The Mutus.
In the beginning of the 20th century, Sant Carles worked as a hospital, then later as a prison, before it was finally made into a military museum in 1981.
The military museum, is quite an interesting sight in Palma, and you can enjoy the wonderful views over the bay from the fortress.