The parish church of Santanyí is a monument of local patrimony
The construction began on July 25, 1786, when the rector of Santanyí, Nicolau Pons, laid the first stone for the new church. This is why a festival in the town is celebrated on this day every year.
The works of the construction, took 25 years to complete and was built with special sandstones from Santanyí, which is known throughout Spain. The bell tower, was built in 1850 on the initiative of the church administrator, Oliver de ca Lluc.
Worth noticing inside the church, is its massive altarpiece, done by Pere A. Umbert, and the beautiful organ. Both were brought to Santanyi from the convent of Dominics in Palma, after the minister Mendizábal ordered the monastery’s property seized.
Santanyi acquired the organ and altarpiece, both were transported by sea from Palma to Santanyi. The organ was built by the famous organ-master, Jordi Bosch. The organ is so large, that the church had to be redesigned to accommodate this huge instrument.
Get directions to Església de Sant Andreu in Santanyí
Santanyí belongs to the Migjorn region, and is located in the south-eastern corner of Mallorca. Generally speaking, it belongs to the most dry areas of the island making it obvious for cultivation of figs, almonds etc. However, Santanyí is a coastal area and you will find a range of great beach destinations such as Cala Santanyí, Cala Llombards, s’Almonia, Portopetro and Cala d’Or which is the most touristic of the holiday destinations in southern Mallorca. Santanyí carries an eventful cultural heritage full of stories of pirate attacks, smuggling and big export adventures, which makes it an interesting place to visit and discover. The heart of Santanyí is the main square of the old town, an ambient place surrounded by bars and restaurants which gives life to the “yellow town”. Wednesday and Saturday are market days in Santanyí, where you can sample some of the local delicacies and products while bargaining good prices of various stuff.