This Sanctuary was founded by the hermit and priest, Arnau Desbrull, in 1394 and three years later, its hermitage chapel had already been blessed. In 1763, its ownership was transferred to the Hermitages of Sant Pau and Sant Antoni. In 1890, the priest, Joaquim Rosselló, retired there, who a few months later founded the congregation of the Missioners dels Sagrats Cors (Sacred Heart Missionaries). Since 1915, this congregation has established its novitiates there.
The platform which configures the entrance is spacious and asphalted. On the Western side, there is a vertical facade which seals the Sanctuary, dated in 1888, with two doorways with semi-circular vaulted arches, a small water-break moulding as an archivolt and a cross which crowns the two doorways. The left doorway leads to the Church and the right doorway provides access to the Sanctuary Caretaker office, with the image of Ramon Llull in the tympanum. We can also observe four small windows with semi-circular arch and a blind arcade with semi-circular arches in the upper section. Between the doorways, there is a ceramic ceiling dated in 1976, which represents the Church’s Patron Saint.
The Church was concluded in 1661. The main façade has a moulded lintel doorway crowned by a niche with the image of Sant Honorat, two lateral Coats of Arms of the Tagamanent and Amar families, and a Gothic inscription, recovered from the Early Christian Church dated in 1397. The Temple has a rectangular floor plan with three sections, barrel vault ceiling with half-moon windows, three lateral chapels, and a gallery with a groined vault ceiling in the entry zone, as well as a Presbytery with square floor plan. To the left, there is the confessional, the Mare de Déu del Roser and the image of the Christ of the Hermits, from the 14th century, while on the right, there is the Mare de Déu de Lorda, the chapel of Santa Margalida Maria d’Alacoque and the Chapel of the Sacred Hearts.
The main altarpiece, dated in 1928, has disappeared and currently a stone wall houses three niches with the images of Sant Honorat, Ramon Llull, and the Beatified Francesc Palau. To the left of the Presbytery, there is a small chapel with a segmental arch which contains the image of the Mare de Déu de Lluc.
Its interior contains the congregation rooms and the “oratori” (oratory) of the Beatified Francesc Palau, a small chapel with the image of the Mare de Déu del Carmen and the Mare de Déu de la Empanada, a work from the mid 20th Century. Higher up, there is an impressive viewpoint, with spectacular panoramic scenery.
Get directions to Santuari de Sant Honorat in Randa
Algaida, Randa and Pina
Algaida is a typical rural area found in the most southern part of the region called “Pla de Mallorca”, a place where agricultural traditions are still commemorated in the local spirit. Algaida is, however, also a place of great diversity, both in its landscapes and when it comes to the things you can do here. There are a bunch of local points of interest to see such as the parish church of Sant Pere i Sant Pau, the old stone crosses in the streets, the famous Cura sanctuary, the Xina windmill and the medieval chapel of Castellitx built immediately after the Catalan conquest of the island. But there is also the famous Gordiola glass factory and the Modelmon interior design showroom. Algaida also celebrates its traditions several times a year with entertaining festivals in the town, absolutely worth attending for a cultural input.